Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Unschooling in the homeschool day

So, to be honest, I'm an avid unschooler. The only homeschool curriculum my chidren use is the Time4Learning program, and they willing utilize it daily. They adore it. We all do! It's the part of our day where we actively involve ourselves in a curriculum or busy work. It's organized, detailed, fun, and my children enjoy talking about their lessons throughout the day. It's a balance I've come to depend on.

The other very important part of our day, is the unschooled portion. The portion that encompasses the children's larger part of thw day. We're constantly learning :) We have books on various topics, encyclopedias (cool pictures for my kindergartner), videos, DVDs, and countless trips to botanical gardens, the zoo, aquariums, museums, and the library. We learn from others, we learn from experiences, we learn from discussions, we learn from documentaries, we learn from our faith, we lead by example, and the children most of all enjoy life and all it's possibilities. We are not threatened or bothered by statistics and characterizations of what the educational status quo thinks or feels. I refrain from marginalizing my children's learning on a level system or on a grading system. They are all unique and creative in their own individual ways. They are growing physically and emotionally in a way that is organic. When they desire to learn about specific subjects or a particular area of something...we have T4L and other resources that are readily available. I wouldn't change this lifestyle for anything in the world. Who knew that learning could be so enriched with individuality :)

6 comments:

  1. Very cool! We love T4L as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use Time4Learning too and use it exactly the way you described! It frees up so much time for them to pursue what interests them most when they are done with their computer work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use it with my daughter and we love it too! I've tried different things throughout our many years of homeschooling and Time4Learning is by far the most engaging and fun curriculum! I wish I'd known of it for my older kids, who've already graduated. I do some of the lessons with her, mostly science, and it's so interesting. It totally frees me up from lesson planning and record-keeping to do other things, like a lot of the things you mentioned.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you Joy, it's so important that kids are allowed an opportunity to have their personal time for growth and development. The day shouldn't be entirely about busy work :) Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
    3. Hi Janet :) The one thing that caused me the most strife was the lesson planning part of the homeschool experience. I'm just not that good with details and the like lol. I like an organic approach to learning, and T4L allows kids the opportunity to work on what they like and still stay engaged with all the animation and fun facts! I'm glad your daughter enjoys it too! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete